This salad goes well with almost any natural foods entrée. Toasted sunflower seeds add concentrated nutrition and extra flavor.
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 large carrot, finely grated (peel if not organic)
- ⅓ cup vegan or natural mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Mitoku Ueboshi Vinegar
- 1½ tsp Mitoku Organic Brown Rice Vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp rice syrup
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Cut the cabbage half in half again lengthwise. Remove tough core and reserve for another use. Slice cabbage crosswise, as thinly as possible.
- Rinse cabbage and drain well (shake to remove excess water), then place in a large bowl. Add salt, toss well, and knead (squeeze handfuls to help soften fibers). Set aside at least 20 minutes, then squeeze out excess water.
- Add carrot to cabbage and toss until evenly mixed.
- Make dressing by combining mayonnaise, umeboshi vinegar, brown rice vinegar or lemon juice, and rice syrup. Add dressing to vegetables and toss well.
- Toast sunflower seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant. Transfer to a small bowl.
- If time permits, chill cole slaw slightly in the refrigerator.
- Top with a sprinkling of seeds. Serve remaining seeds on the side to be added to individual servings, as desired.
The recipe by John & Jan Belleme