A wholesome, easily digested grain with a sweet taste and chewy, substantial texture, barley is an excellent choice for a grain salad.
- 1 cup barley
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (cut from 2 to 3 ears)
- 1 cup minced scallion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 2-3 tbsp Mitoku Organic Brown Rice Vinegar or lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Orgaic Sweet White Miso
- 1 tbsp Dijon-style mustard
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse and drain barley 3 or 4 times, or until rinse water is almost clear. Bring water and salt to a boil. Add barley and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, or until it is just tender. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss barley with remaining salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar or lemon juice, miso, and mustard. Add the oil and whisk vigorously until it has emulsified. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
The recipe by John & Jan Belleme